What oral steroids are there?
Steroids (also known as cortisone or corticosteroids) are chemicals that occur naturally in the body. Steroids reduce inflammation, suppress the body’s immune system, and block DNA from being made, as well as blocking a chemical called histamine (released during an allergic reaction). Steroid medicines are man-made but are similar to these natural hormones. Steroids used to treat disease are called corticosteroids. They are different to the anabolic steroids which some athletes and bodybuilders use. Anabolic steroids have very different effects. Steroids are available as tablets, soluble tablets, and liquids (solutions), creams, ointments, inhalers and injections. Steroid Pharmacy Near Me
Steroid medicines (known as corticosteroids) are man-made versions of natural steroids. You may need to take corticosteroids to treat:
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus and multiple sclerosis
- Skin conditions such as eczema and rashes
- Some kinds of cancer
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (for example, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis).
- Autoimmune diseases (for example, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), autoimmune hepatitis).
- Relapses that occur in multiple sclerosis.
- Joint and muscle diseases (for example, rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica).